DC Comics: The New 52!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Fastball Special" by Jeff Bailey


Batman #3
Writer: Scott Snyder
Artist: Greg Capullo

Batman’s introduction to the Court of Owls continues and it’s not a loving relationship. The Detective seems to believe that Gotham is his town but he’s beginning to see that familiarity slip through his fingers. Gotham has taken notice of Batman and it doesn’t seem to be on his side. Snyder’s take on Batman, the Waynes, and Gotham is fascinating and carries a depth I haven’t seen before. It actually makes me worried for Bruce and I am totally hooked for what will come next. Capullo has continued to nail the art. His panel set up tells the story without having to over-explain and I continue to be awed by his use of angles and perspective. My advice- pick this up and make it your Pick of the Week, just like I did.
Story- 5
Art- 5
“They’re in our homes.”

Justice League #3
Writer: Geoff Johns
Artist: Jim Lee

I feel like I’m bordering on the verge of heresy here. I’m mean this is THE title right? The big one? I should be using words like great, fun, amazing but the word this issue makes me think of most is forced. It all feels forced. The League gets introduced to Wonder Woman, who I guess is an idiot during this time of her life, as well as a few other soon to be important characters. But other than some decent banter surrounding Flash and Batman, the dialogue and story just seems rushed. The art doesn’t help this issue either. It sometimes actually confuses the storytelling. And while it’s not Lee’s fault, WW, Flash and Batman are being drawn so much better in their respective books that it’s hard not to compare. Johns will smooth this all out but I hope it’s sooner rather than later.
Story- 3
Art- 3
“I thought you were a vampire or something.”

*Shortstops*

Ultimate X-Men #3- 3/5- Story was confusing and didn’t seem to move the plot. Oh, and a giant mechanical worm comes out of a guy’s butt.

Amazing Spider-man #674- 4/5- Fairly solid start to a new Vulture story.

Venom #9- 5/5- Remender is really taking this book to some dark places.

Morning Glories #14- 3/5- Ummmm…. Well, I guess Ben really likes it.

Walking Dead #91- 4/5- I hope we’re coming to the end of a fairly mundane arc.

Green Lantern Corps #3- 4/5- Some great panels loaded with lots and lots of GLs.

Wonder Woman #3- 4/5- Art’s still great but the dialogue just didn’t stay cohesive for the whole issue.

Catwoman #3- 5/5- Turns out Selina isn’t just about gratuitous sex. She’s also about messy anger and wonderful violence.

Nightwing #3- 4/5- Richard has a thing for the redheads. Can ya blame him?

That’s what I read this week, Plexers. 

1 comment:

  1. Morning Glories #14 was fun. It was nice to see other things going on at the same time as what happened in #13. The time flashbacks are intriguing as always. Miss Hodge's mysterious ways continue. And then... "Hey! Who turned out the lights?" (Nod if you know the Doctor Who reference there.)

    ReplyDelete