DC Comics: The New 52!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"Rise of the Governor" Review- by Nash Rambler

Against my better judgment, I have decided to share with you my thoughts on the latest “Kirkman” novel, “Rise of the Governor”.


First off, if you are a fan of the Walking Dead series, you will be pleased to learn that Zombie Mayhem is still the centerpiece of this pseudo-biography. Replete with lengthy passages of stomach- churning descriptions of Undead Attacks, the book seems dedicated to the most innovative ways to describe splattering gore. Exploding brains, spurting entrails and severed limbs are splashed across nearly every page. I hope you sense that I mean this in the best way possible.

The book itself remains flawlessly faithful to the popular graphic novel. It’s definitely fair to say that if you enjoyed the violent original series, then this violent novel is aimed squarely at you. Alert readers will recognize several key locations from the Walking Dead, but I won’t spoil the surprises here.

It’s also my opinion that “Rise” employs the traditional “Shock Ending” required of all Zombie Tales; I for one did not guess the ending coming, and that’s always a strength. Again, if you are even mildly familiar with the Governor, his story serves as a fascinating analysis of one man’s descent into madness and immorality. And best of all…. The Governor is NOT who you think he is. That said, even if you have never heard of the Governor, the novel is a well- written, briskly paced Zombie Romp that fits perfectly into Walking Dead canon.

There is one mild objection from this reviewer. I am a fan of both the original series and the television show, and consider myself an avid follower of Robert Kirkman’s work. To me, much of his appeal is based on the terse, wordless exchanges of his characters, and the unspoken drama of humans losing their morality. The writing in this book is verbose, descriptive, and well… downright flowery at times. Every scene is full of pastiches, mélanges, and other colorful metaphors. From the writing style, it is clear to me that Kirkman did not write this book himself. This is not so much of a complaint as an observation. More credit should have been given to the obvious ghost writer, Jay Bonansinga.

That aside, “Rise of the Governor” is highly recommended to all fans of Post- Apocalyptic Fiction. I give this book 5 out of 5 Exploding Skulls!

“There is nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment